5 Ways that MLFA Protects Muslim Families
by Jeannine Sherman
Friday May 20, 2022
The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The best of you are the best to their families, and I am the best to my family.” (Sunan al-Tirmidhī 3895)
Here are 5 ways that MLFA protects Muslim families:
- We work hard to ensure that Muslim families stay together by fighting unjust immigration policies. Here’s an example: Mr. Jafarzadeh’s case revealed the systematic targeting of Muslim immigrants. We fought back to obtain legal permanent residence for Mr. Jafarzadeh, and he was reunited with his family!
- More than a dozen people have been removed from the No-Fly list, thanks to our efforts. Mr. E was unable to visit his wife and children for more than a year before he sought the support of the MLFA-funded Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America (CLCMA). We were able to get him off the No-Fly List. We were also able to assist in the immigration process so that Mr. E’s wife and children could join him in the United States.
- We stand with Muslim employees who face unjust employment practices. When Mr. Magassa’s aviation worker credential and security privileges were suspended, he lost his job at Delta Airlines. With the help of our MLFA-funded attorneys at the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America (CLCMA), the suspension was reversed, and the TSA stated that Mr. Magassa “does not pose a threat”. We are also suing to challenge this suspension and the negative impact this had on Mr. Magassa. We support Muslim employees so that they can support their families.
- We protect the non-profit communities that support our Muslim families. Our attorneys were able to get a $156 million lawsuit against Americans Muslims for Palestine (AMP) dismissed twice. Our support has allowed AMP to continue its cultural and educational mission to support Palestinian-American families in the United States.
- We support donors by ensuring that their funds reach the intended destination. When the Islamic American Relief Agency (IARA-USA) was effectively shut down and their funds were seized by the Department of Treasury, our attorneys got involved and negotiated the release of those funds for the first time ever, ensuring that American families could contribute to a life-saving project of building wells in villages in Mali. We protected the good deeds of American Muslim families, and the resulting wells allowed Muslim families and communities in Mali to access clean water, which allows families to stay together in the villages.
Let’s continue to defend, protect, and educate so that Muslim families in America can continue to grow and prosper for generations to come!